Recent Calls
Tue. Mar 22nd 2016
AFD responds to a working brush fire

AFD E-33,E3 and Medic 31 responds to a brush fire located in the Crossbrook Community.   The fire was contained to ...

Read more »
Tue. Aug 26th 2014
Fully involved vehicle fire from a head on motor vehicle crash

AFD Company 3 was dispatched to a motor vehicle accident on Kent Junction Road just north of the Dunbar Road entrance. Wise C...

Read more »
Sun. May 25th 2014
Structure Fire in Roda

AFD Company 3 was dispatched to a working structure fire in the 1500 block of Roda. Engine 33 arrived on scene. A quick ...

Read more »
News Headlines
Thu. Mar 24th 2016
AFD Recruits putting it all together

AFD Fire Recruit Class No. 9 is putting it all together pictured here on March 6, 2016.  

Read more »
Consumer Product Safety Commission Recalls
The legs on the base of the chair can break, posing a fall hazard.
The fuel gauge retainer can collapse and leak fuel, posing a fire hazard.
The fork leg can crack or become damaged, posing a fall hazard.
The women’s scarves fail to meet federal flammability standard for clothing textiles, posing a risk of burn injuries to consumers.
The children’s robes fail to meet the federal flammability standards for children’s sleepwear, posing a risk of burn injuries to children.
The handle on the Vergo belay device can loosen and cause the device’s assisted braking capacity to malfunction, posing fall and injury hazards to climbers.
The legs of the chairs can break, posing a fall hazard to consumers.
The handlebars can crack, posing a fall hazard to the consumer.
A young child’s neck can fit into the “V” shaped opening along the top edge of the gate, posing entrapment and strangulation hazards to young children. Also, young children can pass under the gate allowing access to restricted areas, such as stairs.
The pump control cover can be improperly grounded, posing an electrical shock hazard.
The plastic diffuser lens can detach and fall unexpectedly, posing a risk of injury from impact.
The snowmobile drive clutch can fracture and fragments can escape the snowmobile shielding, posing an impact hazard.
The buttons can detach from the garment, posing a choking hazard to young children. 
The children’s robes fail to meet flammability standards for children’s sleepwear, posing a risk of burn injuries to children.
The circuit board in the lawn mower can short circuit and catch fire, posing a fire hazard to users.
The meters can fail to give an accurate voltage reading, resulting in the operator falsely believing the electrical power is low or off, posing an electrocution hazard.
Seat slider bolts and push nuts can disconnect and fall from the chair, which could cause the seat to detach from the chair, posing a fall hazard to consumers.
The joint of the articulating arm can pinch or cut the electrical wire causing it to fray, posing a shock hazard.
The paint used on the wicker furniture can contain excessive levels of lead, which is a violation of the federal lead paint standard.
The battery cover can detach and expose the small coin cell batteries, posing choking and ingestion hazards to young children.
The dimmer switch and/or outlet plug can overheat and ignite, posing shock and fire hazards.
The acceleration pedal on the ride-on toys can stick, posing fall and crash hazards.
The down tube can break, posing a fall hazard to the rider.
The electric ranges can become energized, posing electric shock and electrocution hazards to a consumer who touches the range
The mug’s lid does not fit securely and can cause liquids to leak from the bottom of the lid when tilted, posing a burn hazard. Also, the mug does not have a silicone hand wrap so the consumer could burn their hand on the side walls of the mug.
The mugs can crack when filled with hot liquid, posing a burn hazard to users.
The plastic eyes on the plush toys can detach, posing a choking hazard.
The point of connection between the lower front line with the landing line can break, causing a loss of kite control, posing injury and fall hazards.
The glass beakers can break during normal use, posing a laceration hazard to users.
The front fender bolts do not break when an object gets stuck between the front tire and the front fender/mud guard, posing fall and impact hazards.
The smoke detectors connected to the gateway can fail to activate properly when significant environmental contaminants are present, posing a risk that consumers will not be alerted to a fire.
The battery packs included in the science kits can overheat, posing a burn hazard to consumers.
The packaging is not child-resistant as required by the Poison Prevention Packaging Act. The tablets inside the bottle contain iron, which can cause serious injury or death to young children if multiple tablets are ingested at once.
The capacitors in the fuse boards in the heat pumps can stop working causing the unit to overheat, posing a fire hazard.
The night lights can overheat, posing a fire hazard.
The bicycle handlebar stems can corrode and break, causing the rider to lose control and crash.
A weld on the steering post can separate, resulting in loss of steering control, posing a crash hazard.
The front passenger seat belt buckle can fail due to a manufacturing defect, posing a risk of injury.
The lithium batteries that power the motorized window coverings can overheat, leak or discharge, posing fire and burn hazards.
The women’s scarves fail to meet federal flammability standard for clothing textiles, posing a risk of burn injuries to consumers.
Upcoming Events
Every 1st Monday
ALL DAY
Every 3rd Monday
7:00pm - 8:00pm
Every 2nd Sunday
2:00pm
Sat. Jun 24th 2017
9:00am - 3:00pm
Wed. Aug 2nd 2017
5:00pm - 9:00pm
Picture Gallery
Apparatus Gallery
2017 Call Volume
 FireEMS
Jan1247
Feb1557
Mar2062
Apr2165
May1462
Jun726
Jul  
Aug  
Sep  
Oct  
Nov  
Dec  
Total89319

Call Volume History

Newsletter
Stay up to date!
Subscribe to our Newsletter.
Contact Information
Appalachia Fire Department
104 Powell Street
Appalachia, VA 24216
Non-Emergency: 276-565-0732
Emergency: 911
Fax: 276-565-0733
Member Login
Birthdays for June